Switchback Travel, a leading adventure website based in Boulder, Colorado, is looking to expand our team with qualified individuals. Prerequisites include enthusiasm and knowledge of the outdoors, strong writing and communication skills, attention to detail, and an understanding of Switchback Travel’s voice. In addition to the posting listed below, we do consider specific projects and articles on a case-by-case basis. Please send your resume, cover letter, relevant work samples, and proposals to [email protected]
Freelance Gear Writer and Editor
Switchback Travel, the internet’s leading resource for outdoor gear guides and reviews, is looking for a talented writer and editor to join our small but driven team. This position will start in a full-time freelance capacity with the potential to transition into a salaried role down the road.
This position is remote, and someone in Washington State is preferred.
- An experienced writer with 2 or more years of professional writing or editorial experience. Given the technical nature of this position, we will only consider resumes that reflect this job history.
- Passionate and knowledgeable about the outdoors and outdoor gear, including ultralight backpacking equipment, ski gear, and/or mountain biking gear. We’re talkin’ full gear geekery here—participation in these sports is only part of the equation. If you can talk denier and fill weights, DIN ratings and ski waist widths, wheel sizes and carbon versus aluminum, we want to chat with you.
- An independent and resourceful self-starter who is excited about taking on intensive, multifaceted projects and long-form articles. Comfortable working remotely, including access to reliable internet.
- Conscientious with a high attention to detail and knack for finding grammatical and factual errors.
- A quick learner with an adaptable writing style and willingness to take on a variety of esoteric and/or tedious projects (hopefully you’ll find them fun and interesting!). Ideally, you’re comfortable coordinating many moving parts at once and adapting to shifting priorities.
- Experienced in photography and able to take high-quality photos of the gear that you use in action—or at least interested in learning!
- Fun-loving, a team player, and interested in becoming a part of our small but mighty gear-centric family.
Detailed gear guides are the bread and butter of what we do at Switchback Travel. We’re looking to expand our coverage with additional round-ups covering a range of new-to-us categories, including ultralight backpacking gear, budget backpacking gear, camping gear, and more. Your job will be to learn our style and processes, test gear, and write these new articles based on your findings and experiences.
As a small team, we wear many hats. The ideal candidate will also be expected to do a fair share of editing, participate in market research and site planning, edit photos and build pages, write in-depth gear reviews, and more.
Compensation and benefits:
This position will be compensated on a project basis to start with the possibility of full-time employment down the road (complete with health benefits, a 401(k), PTO, and more).
Please send a resume and cover letter to [email protected] We cannot respond to every application individually, but will follow up with qualified candidates as quickly as possible. Thanks for your time!