Switchback Travel, a leading adventure website based in Seattle, is looking to expand our team with qualified individuals. Prerequisites include enthusiasm and knowledge of the outdoors, strong writing and communication skills, attention to detail, and an understanding of Switchback Travel’s voice. In addition to the postings listed below, we do consider specific projects and articles on a case-by-case basis. Please send your resume, cover letter, relevant work samples, and proposals to [email protected]
Assistant Editor, Outdoor Gear
We are excited to add a qualified Assistant Editor to our growing outdoor gear team. The position is 20 to 30 hours a week, although eventual full-time employment is a possibility. And the job is remote—Washington and Colorado folks are encouraged to apply as we have roots in those places, but you can live anywhere with good outdoor access.
- Research and write in-depth content about outdoor gear. This includes reviews of individual products, category round-ups, and informational articles.
- Update existing articles with new products and information as necessary.
- Test and photograph gear locally and on designated trips.
- Edit and publish incoming gear reviews from our testers.
- Communicate with outdoor brands about products and new releases.
- Contribute to the site’s social media presence.
- A high level of outdoor experience and authenticity. Key areas of expertise that we are looking for include backpacking, camping, skiing, and snowboarding.
- Excellent editorial and writing skills. This is a writing-heavy position so you must excel at and enjoy the craft. 1-2 years of editing experience are preferred.
- Comprehensive knowledge of outdoor gear and brands.
- Strong photography skills are preferred.
- Understanding of Switchback Travel’s voice.
- Attention to detail and the ability to meet deadlines.
- Some travel, and possibly international travel, is part of the job.
For consideration, please send a resume, cover letter, and at least two writing samples to [email protected] with "Assistant Editor, Outdoor Gear" in the subject line. Thanks!