Switchback Travel, a leading adventure website based in Boulder, Colorado, is looking to expand our team with qualified individuals. Prerequisites include enthusiasm and knowledge of the outdoors, strong writing and communication skills, attention to detail, and an understanding of Switchback Travel’s voice. In addition to the posting listed below, we do consider specific projects and articles on a case-by-case basis. Please send your resume, cover letter, relevant work samples, and proposals to [email protected]
Hiking and Backpacking Writer
We are excited to add a qualified freelance writer to help grow our hiking and backpacking sections. The position is remote—we are based in Boulder, Colorado but you can live and work anywhere.
- Write in-depth yet easily digestible “How to Choose” articles on a variety of backpacking-related topics including sleeping bags, sleeping pads, stoves, water filters, and more.
- Help brainstorm and create new informational articles about relevant hiking and backpacking topics (for an example, see our article on Freestanding vs. Non-Freestanding Tents).
- Test and review new/key products in the hiking and backpacking realm.
- Help develop new category round-ups from the ground up.
- A high level of backpacking experience and authenticity. For this position, we’re specifically looking for seasoned backpackers who are familiar with today’s gear.
- Excellent writing skills and a demonstrated grasp of Switchback Travel’s voice.
- Attention to detail and the ability to meet deadlines.
- This is a freelance position and you will be compensated on a per article basis. We expect to have at least 20 hours of work per week throughout the spring and summer, if not more.
Start date: Early February, 2020.
For consideration, please send a resume and cover letter to [email protected] with "Hiking and Backpacking Writer" in the subject line. We cannot respond to every application individually, but will follow up with qualified candidates as quickly as possible. Thanks for your time!